It is hard to get out of debt. It takes sacrifice and dedication. However, it is an amazing feeling when you are finally free from that crushing burden. There are five steps to get out of debt.
1. Write down all your debt with the corresponding interest rate on one sheet of paper. Find out what happens if you are late or miss a payment.
2. Never ignore bills and late notices. Call the businesses that you owe money and try to work out smaller payments. Being up front will keep you on good terms with your creditor.
3. If you owe a lot money to many businesses, you may need outside help. The National Foundation for Credit Counseling is a non-profit debt counseling service. You can contact them at www.nfcc.org or their toll free number is 800-388-2227. They can help set up a repayment plan.
4. Make a list of where you spend your money. Try to find ways to cut expenses. There are community programs that might be able to help you.
5. Look for ways to increase your income. Can you work overtime? Can you get a second job? Is there someone in your family that can help?
If you are overcome by feelings of hopelessness, ask for help. Many people have been where you are now. You can make it through this too.
"Remember your dreams and fight for them. You must know what you want from life." - Paul Coelho
"Failing to plan is planning to fail." - Alan Lakein Lakein
"Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit." - Wilma Rudolph
"Before beginning, plan carefully." - Marcus Cicero